Saturday, July 11, 2015

Assurant Specialty Property Renter's Insurance Poor Service

This is a disappointing insurance company. It appears that they simply want to collect premiums and not actually help their customers. The amount of documentation that Assurant/Geico requires for specialty property insurance is substantially more and sometimes still insufficient for them to offer coverage. Wanting to insure an engagement ring, since I already had a renter's policy, I filled out a 3 page application, sent a copy of the appraisal of the ring, a picture of the ring in front of a current newspaper to prove that I still had it. I was told that I would have an answer in 3-5 days. I call on day 8 and ask for an update as my fiancé is about to board a plane and I want to make sure that the ring is covered. I am told that there is no way to find out the status and they are unable to contact the underwriting department. Within a couple days, I do receive an email asking for a copy of the GIA certificate, which not only wasn't originally requested - but they have the cert # and this can easily be pulled from the GIA website. I instead had obtained my insurance through jewelersmutual.com after talking to them on the phone. They didn't ask for half of the documentation and the premium was lower.

If you don't want to write insurance, then don't be in the insurance business Assurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment